Sunday, August 10, 2008

The birth

Like I said in the previous post, our little sweetheart Maya Kristiina Vasso is finally here and we have had so much fun with her. I used to make fun of new parents and how I swear they take a picture of there child's every move. Now I realize I am no different! Here she is a few minutes old. Everything with the birth went well. I was in labor for 45 hours total but I still had to be induced because the contractions wouldn't come quicker than 5-7 min. on a regular basis. They induced me after 43 hours of labor and two long sleepless nights. I was so ready for her to come. It didn't take long for the medicine to kick in and within 30-45 min. I was having contractions every 3 minutes or so. Finally the pain got bad enough that I wanted an epidural after about 3 hours. I was dilated to a 5 at this point and I can say I was pretty desperate for some medication. The anesthesiologist had a hard time putting it in (I had pure back labor and was having a hard time getting lose enough for them to put it in the right spot). After about 40 min it was in and as it started to kick in, I realized that epidural's are one of the greatest things on this earth!

About 15 min went by and I was still feeling a lot of stuff going on, it wasn't like a contraction but more just pressure. I asked the nurse if I should still be feeling things and she said "you shouldn't feel a thing at this point, but later on as the baby comes you should feel pressure." I told her I was feeling a lot of pressure and she said that usually she isn't supposed to check people but she did and said " oh, that would be why...your babies head is right there. Oh-and she has lots of hair."
I was completely shocked! I always figured I would cry when my child was actually born but I started to cry right then, probably just because I was overwhelmed and wasn't expecting her to be born for another 3 or 4 hours....not in the next half hour!
I started pushing and after one push she had the Doctor come in and within 25 min Maya was born. Nothing is better than hearing your babies first cry. She was smaller than i though she would be- 6 lbs 14 oz.  19 1/2" but she definitely had more hair than I thought she would, although its kind of funny. Really really short in front and about an inch in the back. We say our child has a mullet, and it isn't too far off from the truth. She is our little "Billy Ray Cyrus"
The picture Im standing next too in the hall of the hospital was my inspiration to keep going through labor. I had to walk the halls for hours to try to induce myself naturally-no luck. By the end of that evening, all the nurses knew who I was in the delivery unit because it really wasn't that big so passed em all at least 20 times.
  

0 comments: