Monday, January 26, 2009

I want the WHOLE bed!




Maya reading her bedtime story with daddy-all she wants to do is eat it!

The notorious "bunny suit" Maya hates this thing, but it certainly keeps her warm enough. If she cries in it, she gets really sweaty on her head, its kind of funny.

Me and Ryan at my brothers basketball game.
Wendy holding Maya at the game sitting next to Chris...(although you cant see his face-sorry!)
One of the first times Maya got up on her hands and knees, she isn't crawling yet, but she is doing so good and we are so proud!

......A wondrous thing has happened and while I might be jumping the gun a little, I think it is safe to say that we have figured out how to get some sleep. When we moved we were back and forth and my family and then his family and Maya wasn't able to sleep good at all. She got too cold and so I would end up just bringing her in bed with me. From this came the BAD habit of having to sleep with us for most of the night.

I actually enjoyed it for the first part until Maya decided that sharing was just too difficult for her. We were cramping her space so she came up with the perfect solution-kick mommy out! I would bring her in and she would kick and scream and finally I would get so frustrated that I would sit up and say, "what do you want child?" as she would roll right into my spot and fall soundly asleep. I thought to myself, "if you have to have the warm part of the bed so be it, as long as I get some sleep." (words of a desperate parent) But whenever I would try laying down next to her she would push me away and scream! It got so bad that about 5 nights ago, she was so infuriated with my "trying to actually sleep in my own bed" that she cried and cried and wouldn't go back to sleep, wouldn't eat, but once again as I sat up she slept soundly. I spent the WHOLE NIGHT sleeping at the foot of the bed!!! Ryan noticed I was down there when he realized he kept kicking something (I was too tired to notice) after that night I decided something had to change.
     We have been letting Maya cry herself to sleep for naps the past few weeks and while that was quite the ordeal, the pay off has been wonderful. We never wanted to let her cry during the night because we live in an apt with a neighbor above us and you can hear everything. I had talked to my friend Nikki a few days earlier who had the same situation and said that she just let her baby cry anyways, and that it was working great. Thanks Nik for the help!
     We let her cry through the night 4 nights ago for the first time and she slept for 5 hours, then 6 more. Last night she slept a whopping 10 hours straight!!!!!! I feel like a new woman, this is so much better than Maya waking up every hour or two. I love it! And the best part of it is.....I have my side of the bed back. :) 

4 comments:

Nikki said...

you hate hearing them cry but after a couple of days it is soooo worth it... Chloe is now sleeping 12 hours straight, OH HOW WONDERFUL!! I'm glad you tried it and that it worked. It's amazing how much more you can do during the day when you get some sleep, huh?

Jeremy said...

I'm glad you got some sleep Holly!!! Addie had some colic so we went through the same thing (waking her up for feeding of course.)I am glad you have reclaimed your bed!!!

Wendy said...

maya is just like you-a bed hog! Lol jk sister that is such a funny story! Sounds like she is a fiesty one for sure! Cant wait until she can walk then your in for a real treat1

Aimee said...

I will have to keep that in mind when my baby comes. Your little baby girl is so cute.